This appears on various folklore and cryptozoology sites as an illustration of a bunyip. None I can find credit an artist or source. It has a 19th century look to it, but that’s just speculation.
If you know who the artist is or where to find a higher quality copy of this image, please reblog with info.
i have no idea if you’re still looking for the artist or the source, but two sites say this is a piece by an ainslie roberts! this is his wikipedia, and site. he has lots of interesting works, and this piece was in a book called Bunyips: Australia’s folklore of fear. i don’t know much else but if you want i found a cute site about bunyips too.
After months without answers, two bloggers recognized the art on the same day. Dotesmite identified this as one of the interior illustrations in The Dawn of Time, a book of indigenous Australian myths by Charles P. Mountsford first published in 1969.
I got my Digital Tools class waived by showing the heads of the illustration board my art tumblr, and their response was something along the lines of “your drawings are better than average [for an incoming student]” and “wow you sure like Rayman a lot”.
Realizing there are still a ton of Marvel portraits that I’ve yet to post to tumblr!
I’ll be doing an AP sale of every print from my show, HOPEFULLY soon, so look for that.
#ホルベイン #higuchiyuko #ヒグチユウコ
I am mostly moved into my dorm? I got some odds and ends that I’ll just put away as I use them and I need to get an extension cord to set up my desktop computer. For now I’m using my laptop. The move was really long, really stressful, and I’m a little peeved that my keycard doesn’t work (I have to go in tomorrow and get it fixed). I’m very tired, and a little overwhelmed. I think this will ultimately be a good thing but right now I’m kind of disoriented. I’ve never lived IN a city before, and I’lI admit, it’s kind of scary. I think once I fall into a routine it will be easier but for right now, this is all exciting but draining. I am however eager for classes to start. I did have a nice night at my fella’s place last night though, it was comforting to be somewhere with familiar sights/smells/geography after being on the road for the last few days, feeling displaced.
Announcing the original “Chupacabra in a Can”! This poseable Chupacabra skeleton is finally completed and up for sale! You can find it in our Etsy store.
WHAT A COOL THING!
WHAT A COOL STORE!
You never realize how much shit you have until you have to divide it up and shove it in fucking boxes.
hey remember when I used to post art
In case anybody was curious as to why there’s so much smoke in my self portraits, them gears is jammin’ CONSTANTLY
Reblog for the day crowd I suppose, although I don’t think I posted this lethally late yesterday
Rather be spacey and laid back than running at full steam and paranoid, tbh
hyenas, terrifying and excellently organized predators of the savannah
also surprisingly docile and like neck scritches and have a tail chasing compulsion
if you don’t think hyenas are great then you’re objectively wrong
Aaaahhh, I love hyenas. :D
Hyenas: Always getting a bad rap because lions are jerks. Lions actually steal from hyenas most of the time because hyenas are the better predators — but they’re also very skittish when faced with a giant pride of cats. Adorable babies!
Okay, lemme tell you about spotted hyenas, aka the BAMFiest BAMFs in the animal kingdom.
- Their societies are entirely female-dominated. Female hyenas are larger and stronger than males and have higher social status in clan hierarchy - even the lowest-ranking female in a hyena clan is higher up the social ladder than the highest-ranking male. They’re basically the Amazons of the animal world. The females even have false penis-like appendages (which are essentially large clitorises), which led the ancient Greeks to think that hyenas were hermaphrodites. Because fuck your narrow human perceptions of sex and gender roles, that’s why.
- They are considered the dominant predators of the African savannah, despite not being the largest or strongest, because they are the most successful hunters. Their hunting success rate is estimated to be about 70-80%, meaning that they catch about 70-80% of prey they pursue - a freakishly high statistic (to compare, the success rate of lions and wolves is about 20-30%). They also scavenge much less than lions do, as whowasntthere said, and are incredibly adaptable and opportunistic predators, meaning that they are also the most common and widespread of the large African carnivores. That’s not too bad for an animal typecast as a lazy scavenger.
- Their jaws are some of the strongest in the animal kingdom, stronger than those of lions, tigers, wolves or perhaps bears, and can crush elephant and giraffe bones; hyenas are also able to digest all bone matter. Don’t tell me that’s not metal as fuck.
- Despite looking like dogs, they are not part of the dog family and are actually more closely related to cats. Because fuck your logic. Nature does what it wants.
- They are incredibly intelligent. They are easily as intelligent as primates and some scientists claim that their intelligence may even rival that of the great apes, which would make them among the most intelligent animals in the world. Hyenas even outperform chimpanzees on some tests, which is pretty damn awesome, considering that chimpanzees are our closest relatives and all.
So yeah, basically hyenas are awesome and badass as well as truly fascinating animals and if you don’t have at least a bit of respect for them you’re wrong.
- Dated: 18th century
- Place of Origin: Indian
- Measurements: overall length: 10.5in (267mm). Blade length: 6.75in (165mm)
Probably from Rajasthan or Central India, this knife categorised as a ‘kard’ has grips scales made of bone. The iron bolster is chiselled, while the scabbard has a silver throat piece displaying a Hindu religious icon, probably Surya Dev, the Hindu Sun god, with attached bells and suspension chains. The chape is again made of silver, with a lion devouring his prey. The scabbard is covered in red velvet, the throat featuing brown leather.
Source: Copyright © 2014 Akaal Arms
Love “Da Man Wit the Chips” but Jameila White is the new “Protest MVP.” #staywoke #trill